Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Studio Special with The Mashville Brigade

This week's Studio Special, which debuts Friday at 8:00 AM ET, will be one of your favorites, I'm sure. The Mashville Brigade, in case you're not familiar with them, is a group comprised entirely of members of other, major bands in bluegrass who together have a regular Tuesday night pickin' gig at Nashville's Station Inn.

Darrell Webb (Rhonda Vincent & The Rage) and Ashby Frank (Special Consensus) handle most of the lead vocals and play guitar and mandolin, respectively. Randy Barnes (New Found Road) plays bass, Jim Van Cleve (Mountain Heart) plays fiddle, and Aaron McDaris (Grascals) is the banjo picker. Together they form a very compelling, high-energy unit playing hard core, "in-your-face" bluegrass. The material on their new album for Rural Rhythm, Bluegrass Smash Hits, Volume 1, is made up entierly of familiar bluegrass standards, and that's what you hear on this show.

There's no way to not like this music, in my opinion. And to see these guys perform, as I did when they came in to do the show, completely reinforces my faith in bluegrass musicians' love for the music. These guys certainly do, and you can't help from getting caught up in their enthusiasm.

You can hear this show when it premieres Friday morning, or you can catch one of the rebroadcasts. The schedule is here.

3 comments:

daMarvelous1 said...

That was another fine Studio Special, Kyle! Those guys are hoot! Had me crackin' up on my way to work which is a good way to start the day!
Regards,
Marv

Anonymous said...

Kyle, another great show. Everybody loves the old standbys and we have heard them a hundred times, but The Mashville Brigade have a magic about them that really puts new life into the songs they have done. I firmly believe they could do "Row, Row Your Boat" and it would sound fresh. A great presentation of this new and exciting group. I really like the way they keep us in touch with our roots. Thanks Junebug

Kyle said...

Marv, I think I laughed all day after we did that one. Those guys are LOADS of fun, and we had a great time!

Junebug, I completely agree. As many times as I've heard these songs, these musicians have succeeded in breathing new life into them without radically chaning them. They're really pros.