Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dixie Bee-Liners "Ripe" for the Pickin'

OK, corny headline aside, these folks CAN pick. They can sing, too. I mean real good. And we're pleased to have them on the Studio Special this week.

I hope you'll be listening Friday morning at 8:00 ET when the Dixie Bee-Liners join me in studio for an hour+ of live music and conversation.

When I first heard "Down on the Crooked Road" sometime back, I found myself immediately captivated by the song. To me, the one of the hallmarks of a truly impressive song is the way you catch yourself humming it for hours after you hear it, and this one really got into my head quickly. Then, when the full album containing "Crooked Road" came out, Ripe, I discovered there was a lot of depth to this group.

Buddy Woodward and Brandi Hart head up the Dixie Bee-Liners and, along with Rachel Renee Johnson, provide most of the vocals. Their playing and singing are superb, and I know you'll be impressed. Sam Woodward on banjo, bassist Jeremy Darrow, and Jonathan Maness on guitar round out the group. Beyond their talents, however, is a respect and reverence for bluegrass which fully lives up to the the tributes found in the lyric of "Down on the Crooked Road."

Join us for a terrific show. If you can't tune in Friday, catch one of the rebroadcasts, a complete listing of which can be found here.

And don't miss the current edition of the Studio Special with J.D. Crowe & The New South. It airs once more: Tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 ET.

No comments: