Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Steeldrivin' This Weekend

This weekend, the Studio Special revisits a show which originally aired in March featuring the Steeldrivers.

Mention this group among bluegrass fans and you'll get a variety of reactions. While their approach to bluegrass may be somewhat unconventional--lead vocalist Chris Stapleton doesn't have the "typical" bluegrass delivery, and their song selection and arrangements may be described as adventurous--it is precisely this type of freshness which will propel bluegrass forward. In my opinion--and it's just that, an opinion--there's quite a bit of "sameness" in today's bluegrass, and the fact that the Steeldrivers stand out among the crowd is one of their strongest selling points.

In any event, listen when the encore broadcast airs Friday morning at 8:00 ET and see whether you agree. I can promise you that these folks are for real--they're all excellent musicians and highly dedicated to their craft. This is a great show.

The current Studio Special features the Mashville Brigade, and that show airs once more--on Thursday at 3:00 PM ET. More information about it can be found by following this link. The complete listing of air times for all Studio Special shows is found here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was privledged to see the Steeldrivers when they visited Denison University awhile back, and they are really good. Chris Stapleton reminded me of Jerry Garcia, and at first I didn't really know how to take that, but the more you listen to him the more I enjoy him and the group. I don't think anybody else could sing vocals with Chris like Tammy either, they are a perfect match, I enjoyed the group before, when they were on and I'm looking forward to hearing them again, and Kyle as always you do a great job. Junebug